If you have had it with cheap lawn and garden tools that you are tired of replacing year after year, you may be ready to invest in pro-grade equipment. Of course, the initial cost will be higher, so you definitely need to do your research. For the best professional hedge trimmer, you have come to the right place.
It can be tempting to just throw money at the problem—choosing the most expensive gear just to check the box and hope that you won’t have to replace your tools in a few years. However, most pro-gear is optimized for certain kinds of uses, so you want to make sure you are getting the RIGHT tools for your property. That is where we come in.
Our review of the best pro-grade hedge trimmers includes a look at several categories including:
Top Professional Hedge Trimmers:
Top All-Around Pick – Tanaka TCH22EBP2 21cc 2-Cycle Gas 24” Hedge Trimmer
Top Pick for Really Tough Jobs – Echo HC-152 20” Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer
Top Pick in Battery Power – Greenworks PRO 24-Inch 80V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Top Pick for Extended Reach – DEWALT DCHT895M1 Pole Hedge Trimmer
Top Budget Friendly Pick – DEWALT DCHT820P1 20 V Max Hedge Trimmer
Qualities to Consider Before Buying:
It wasn’t long ago that gas was the only power source that made sense for landscaping professionals. Until recently, gas provided unrivaled power, mobility, and long-lasting operation that was critical for professional landscaping work.
To be clear, gas-powered tools still, make up the bulk of a pro’s arsenal. However, battery-powered equipment has started to break into this market.
Lithium Ion technology has produced long-lasting and quick charging batteries that can produce power that is competitive with gas engines of the same weight. Also, modern batteries don’t have the dreaded “fade” that used to cause batteries to lose their ability to hold a charge after repetitive use.
Another shift that has driven innovation in battery powered pro-grade outdoor tools is consumer demand for quieter and cleaner technology, particularly in dense, residential areas. Major advantages of choosing battery powered tools include quieter operation and the absence of fumes.
From a maintenance perspective, it’s a mixed bag. Gas engines do require winterization, special additives, and yearly cleaning to stay in top condition. However, for the DIY person, home repairs on gas-powered machines are more accessible. If small engine repair is your bag, then a gas-powered machine may be the better choice for you.
Our review includes both gas and battery-powered hedge trimmers so that you can get pro-gear that meets your needs. It is rare to find corded equipment that is considered pro-grade since access to power on the job site is a crap shoot. However, if you are interested in learning more about corded hedge trimmers, check out our review here.
Specs to be on the Lookout For:
Before buying, take a moment to think through your specific needs. Are you looking to do regular maintenance on lightweight shrubs like boxwoods or forsythia? Or, do you need hedge trimmers that can slice through dense thickets of blackberries? The right tool for one is not necessarily the right tool for the other.
When making your choice, keep an eye on these important specs:
- Tooth Gap: This is the space between each tooth, and it determines the max diameter of the branch you can safely cut. ¾” is the standard, although some pro-grade gear allows for even larger branches. Much more than an inch, and you are looking at a job more suited for a pole saw than a hedge trimmer.
- Cut Length: This stat refers to the length of the blade, usually between 22-26”. Shorter blades mean more swipes but give a novice more control for precision work. Longer blades add weight and can make the trimmer unwieldy until you get some experience under your belt.
- Weight: Obviously the lighter the machine, the longer you can go without a break. If you have a high volume of work, this needs to be a major consideration. Look for a range of 9-15 pounds as the standard. With commercial grade gear built for pros that are used to handling heavy gear for hours on end, the weights tend to be heavier than residential gear.
- Reach: If you have tall bushes to trim, then a pole extension is a must. Ditch the ladder and trim like a pro with a sturdy extension system that will take hours off the job time.
Ready for our picks for the best professional hedge trimmers? Here we go!
Top All-Around Pick:
Power: 21.1 cc
Weight: 10.3 Lbs. without fuel
Cut Capacity: ¾”
Cut Length: 24” dual blade, commercial grade (also available in 20” and 30”)
Features: 5 position handle, forward facing exhaust, purge bulb
Tanaka is a fourth-generation family owned Japanese company with a good reputation in outdoor power tools. These pro-grade hedge trimmers offer exceptional power and some stand-out features worth noting. If you have an overgrown patch of blackberries to contend with, these are a solid choice. Thicker branches from old growth hedges? These hedge trimmers reliably cut through up to ¾” with a very smooth action.
One of the tough decisions to make when choosing the right tool for the job is blade length. Shorter blades are lighter and easier to maneuver, while longer blades mean you can get the job done with fewer passes. With Tanaka you can choose the blade length that is right for you: 20”, 24”, and 30” blade lengths are available. The handle pivots to 6 different presets which allows you to keep a comfortable and safe grip at various angles.
Weighing in at just 10.3 pounds, this machine brings pro-grade power into the hands of the homeowner. As far as gas powered machinery goes, the starter technology on this model makes start-up a breeze. There is a purge bulb and improved starting mechanism which translates to easy starting overall.
Overall, this is pro-grade gear that is still designed to be accessible to the average user.
- Powerful—the 21.1 cc engine has plenty of punch for dense shrubbery.
- Forward facing exhaust—keeps fumes out of your face and won’t burn tender leaves.
- 5 position handle—adjust for the most comfortable fit for your style and the different reaches you need for tough jobs.
- Lightweight—just 10.3 pounds (without fuel) gives this Tanaka a major edge in terms of power per pound of carry
- Purge bulb—prevents flooding, a common issue that can make starting a gas machine a real pain.
- Warranty—full 2 years for commercial use, 7 years for homeowners.
- Cost—the cost reflects pro-grade components and is worth it for those looking for primo gear.
- Parts—overseas manufacturing makes getting parts for basic repairs difficult.
Best Pro-Grade Hedge Trimmer for Tough Jobs:
Type: 2-stroke, gas
Power: 21.2 cc
Weight: 11.8 Lbs. without fuel
Cut Capacity: ¾”
Cut Length: 20” laser cut blades
Features: Ergonomic rear handle, front handle with safety guard
Sometimes the best tool for the job depends on the constraints of the job itself. While the ECHO isn’t perfect for every job, if you find yourself surrounded by sumac, wild rose and other fast-growing greenery taking over your property, this may be the right pro-grade choice for you.
Laser cut blades on a relatively short 20” cutting edge deliver extreme cutting power with each pass. You will be able to slice through ½” branches on a single pass. Even thicker limbs up to ¾” won’t be a problem with this professional hedge trimmer, just expect to take them one or two at a time.
Although a little heavy at 12 pounds, this model does have an ergonomically sound design with a wide front handle and perfectly positioned rear handle. It is surprisingly easy to move around, thanks to an overall well-balanced design. Plus, a nice safety shield will keep your leading hand protected as you cut through thick and prickly patches of blackberry.
Great for tough jobs and tight spaces, the shorter cutting surface on this model does come at a cost—large jobs that require a lot of precision, or long sweeps on lightweight foliage, will take longer with this machine.
- Concentrated Power—perfect for clearing overgrown areas or a first pass on thick shrubbery.
- Cut capacity—larger limbs from ½-3/4” will not stop this machine.
- Comfort design—large front and rear handles give this model a boost on maneuverability and comfort on long jobs.
- Thorn shield—safety shield on the front is an added bonus for pricker bushes and briar patches.
- Price—a solid investment in a quality piece of outdoor equipment.
- Short blade—great for thick branches and dense foliage, but the 20” blade will add time to large, precision trim jobs.
- Heavy—tipping the scales at almost 12 pounds before fuel.
Best Professional Battery Powered Hedge Trimmer:
Weight: 12 Lbs.
Run Time: 1 hour
Charge Time: 30-minutes
Cut Capacity: ¾”
Cut Length: 24”
Features: Rotating rear handle, Lithium-Ion battery
Greenworks® has been around since 2007 and has become an industry leader in battery powered home and garden equipment in that time. They have been building a loyal customer base by offering a full line of 80V gear with interchangeable batteries.
Greenworks has the formula down—batteries with long life, fast charge, and power that rivals the gas-powered competition without the extra noise and fumes. In terms of being pro-grade, Greenworks is putting out some of the best battery powered landscaping gear there is.
A stand-out feature to consider with these cordless hedge trimmers is the rotating handle, offering some added flexibility to maneuver in small spaces or set the angle to be ergonomic for your trimming style. We do want to point out, however, that despite the title on some shopping pages, this has a 24” blade (not 26”).
Despite all the qualities worth raving about with this machine, do pay attention to the weight. Coming in at 12 pounds with the battery installed, this is not going to be the right machine for everyone. Although you will save your muscles in terms of a quicker job, this is enough weight to make the job miserable for those that may not be in the best shape of their lives.
The price is high for a battery powered machine, but we think the brand rep, real power, and durability of this hedge trimmer justify the cost if you have more than a few bushes to trim a few times a year.
- Reliable power—you will probably be very surprised at how far battery technology has come.
- Quick charge—30 minutes on the charger buys you an hour at full power.
- Balanced load—despite being heavy, the load is well balanced which makes a huge difference.
- Long battery life—Lithium Ion technology means no battery “fade” over the life of the product.
- Developed product line—batteries are designed to work across the product line. If you have more than one product, you will have extra batteries to charge while you work.
- Weight—12 pounds with the battery is nothing to scoff at, and it will be too heavy for some homeowners.
- Cost—definitely on the higher end of similar battery-operated gear.
Best Professional Grade Pole Hedge Trimmer:
Weight: 15.8 pounds, 3.2-pound battery
Run Time: 90 minutes
Charge Time: 30-minutes
Cut Capacity: 1”
Cut Length: 22”
Reach: telescoping shaft goes from 45’’-70” (3.75’-5.8’)
Features: Brushless steel motor, laser cut blades, shoulder strap, eight positions articulating head
This is a powerful machine that is tough enough for pros to use. It features a strong, 3,700 SPM motor that is commercial grade. The cut capacity is also larger than most residential trimmers, coming in at a whopping 1” with the power to back that up. Large branches and deadwood from neglected shrubs are no match for this powerful trimmer.
This machine has the features that a pro is looking for in terms of maneuverability as well. There are eight, 15°, presets on the pivoting head which means you can adjust to get the perfect angle for a real professional look on your hedges. The extremely long reach is longer than most of the competition in its class as well.
The biggest downside of this machine is the weight. With the battery, this equipment weighs almost 19 pounds which makes reaching on long jobs a real chore for all but the fittest users. It does come with a shoulder strap which helps with some of the weight, but you may find that you have to split the job into a few sessions in order to get it done with minimal soreness.
- Power—3,700 SPM motor with steel gears and a professional build means reliable power for the lifetime of the product.
- Low maintenance—battery powered gear is much easier to maintain than gas engines. Just plug and play.
- Reach—with a max extension of nearly 6’, you will be able to get to the top of most hedges without using a ladder.
- Fine tuning—micro adjustments to the head let you get the perfect angle for every job for a pro looks every time.
- Warranty—backed by Dewalt’s 3-year limited warranty and 90-day complete money back guarantee.
- Weight—at almost 19 pounds, this tool comes in too heavy for some to comfortably use on long jobs.
- Price—this is a serious investment in pro-grade gear, and the price reflects that fact.
Best Budget Pro-Grade Hedge Trimmer:
Weight: 11.5 lbs. with battery installed
Cut Capacity: ¾”
Cut Length: 22”
Warranty: 3 years limited with 1 year of free service
Features: Laser cut blades, Lithium Ion Ah batteries
For those looking to get a long-lasting, quality machine for a reasonable price tag, this selection may well fit the bill. It is another choice from Dewalt, but it sticks to the “basics” to stay within a budget. For most homeowners, this is plenty of power in a durable tool to handle an average volume of residential trim work.
This trimmer has plenty of juice to give clean and fast cuts to light to medium bushes such as holy and forsythia. However, it might not be enough for tougher jobs like sumac or dense blackberry thickets, so do keep that in mind.
What the average homeowner will appreciate is the relatively light build of this machine, making it a pleasure to use over some of the heavier pro-grade tools on the market. You don’t need to carry the extra weight for larger volume maintenance on decorative shrubs.
- Budget-friendly—great price for pro-grade gear from Dewalt.
- Lightweight—perfect for most residential maintenance trim work.
- Latest battery technology—Lithium-Ion batteries won’t “fade” with charging and use.
- Durable quality—this machine is a solid investment in a tool that will last you for years.
- Warranty—a full year of free service at Dewalt certified dealers and a 3-year limited manufacturers warranty.
- Not for tough jobs—this machine is better suited for high-volume maintenance rather than cleaning up badly neglected areas of your property.
Find the Right Pro-Grade Hedge Trimmer for Your Needs
We hope this guide has given you all the information you need to make the right choice for your individual property. If you are looking for the best professional hedge trimmer, you have lots of options to choose from these days. However, before investing in pro-grade gear, you want to be sure you are getting the right tool for your specific situation.
We would love to hear from you about your garden and landscaping projects. Please feel free to leave a note or picture of your latest hedge trimming projects in the comments section below.