Choosing the right lawn mower is important. But there are so many different models on the market, it can be overwhelming. It’s important to get a model that will cut your grass to perfection, will last you a long time and will fit within your budget.
We analyzed, compared & researched dozens of lawn mowers to try and find the best lawn mower under $400. Check out our findings below where we go in-depth to bring you the top lawn mower for your needs.
Our Top Picks:
- 5 Best Lawn Mowers under 400 Dollars
- 1. Greenworks MO40L02 21-inch Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 2. Troy-Bilt 12AVA2MR766 21-inch Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 3. PowerSmart DB2322S 22-inch Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower
- 4. Lawn-Boy 17732 21-inch Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- 5. Red Craftsman M275 21-inch High Wheel Self-Propelled FWD Lawn Mower
- What to Look for in a Lawn Mower Under $400
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final verdict
5 Best Lawn Mowers under 400 Dollars
1. Greenworks MO40L02 21-inch Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- It has a self-propelled drive system.
- It is constructed with a 21-inch steel deck with a three-in-one discharge design.
- It features seven cutting height position adjustments.
- It comes with a brushless motor.
- It has a vertical storage design.
We have got the all-round cordless self-propelled lawn mower; Greenworks MO40L02. You won’t have to crank your mower’s engine to get it started since it features an instant start button. So, what makes it the best and all-around lawn mower?
First, it has a dual battery port design that allows you to store one battery while the second one is fueling the mower. On top of that, it comes with a professional-grade 20-inch steel deck; it is designed to last. It features a 3-in-1 deck discharge with mulching, side discharge, and rear discharge. Moreover, there is a single-lever height adjustment with seven settings with a range of 1 ⅜ to 3 ¾.
Why we like it
- The brushless motor makes the mowing operation quiet.
- It has different height adjustments to allow you to choose the perfect grass height.
- It fits in a limited space.
- The self-propulsion feature allows you to move with it around the lawn quickly without much effort.
- The cutting deck is made of durable material.
- It has an extra battery storage compartment allowing you to carry an extra battery to increase the running time.
What we don’t like
- The batteries will need replacement after some time.
We recommend the Greenworks MO40L02 for those living in residential areas because you will appreciate a brushless motor that makes your operation quiet. Therefore, you won’t have neighbors complaining about the noise when mowing early in the day. Besides, the mower comes with seven different height positions that allow you to have perfect cuts for your home style.
- It includes a mulch kit to return the nutrients to the soil for a thicker and healthier.
- It features a three-in-one functionality.
- It is designed with a TriAction cutting system to provide clean and even cuts.
- It comes with a 1.9-bushel rear bag for collecting the grass clippings for easy composting or clean up.
- It features a side discharge chute with a handy, in-built clip to allow you to attach the handle while not using it.
- It has a front-wheel-drive with variable speed.
- It is equipped with dual-lever height adjusters.
A brand that is well-known for its quality products has grazed the industry with another excellent lawnmower. Troy-Bilt 12AVA2MR766 is a solid choice to invest your money. It runs on a quick to start Troy-Bilt OHV engine with less maintenance.
The great machine is constructed with a front-wheel-drive with variable speed to give faster turns and improved control. On top of that, the mower features a TriAction cutting system to offer a well-trimmed lawn. It uses a specialized blade, symmetrical deck, and rake guard for an even and clean cut every time.
Moreover, it has conveniently located dual-lever height adjusters to help you adjust the trimming and cutting height quickly. With side discharge, rear bag, and mulching capabilities, you are free to choose the way to dispose of the grass clippings.
Why we like it
- It is quick to adjust cutting height positions.
- It comes with a more oversized rear bag for easy clean-up of grass clippings.
- The mulching functionality gives back the needed nutrients for a healthy lawn.
- It has a perfect cutting system for better cuts.
- It comes with a deck wash adaptor for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- It is built in America.
- Its design gives you faster turns and better control.
What we don’t like
- It produces a lot of noise.
- It comes without fuel stabilizers.
We recommend this Troy-Bilt model for lawns with flower beds and foundations that need quick turns while mowing as it comes with front-wheel-drive with variable speed for enhanced control. The height adjusters are conveniently placed for easy cutting.
- It is gas-powered with a 196cc engine.
- It starts with an easy pull.
- It has five-position height adjustments with a range of 1.2 to 3.5 inches.
- It weighs 103 lbs.
- It comes with a two years limited warranty.
- It features a prominent rear bag for collecting the grass clippings.
- It comes with a three-in-one deck cutting design.
- It has 11.5-inch rear wheels, which makes it easy to maneuver.
The PowerSmart DB2322S is a gas-powered mower featuring a 196cc engine. It is the perfect tool for grooming smaller to medium lawns with a 22-inch cutting deck to ensure better cuts for your yard. Additionally, the five positions height adjustment settings enable the operator to work comfortably and with ease. Since it’s a lightweight and compact unit, it is easy to maneuver around the lawn.
Besides, it has a deep dome deck design with a sharp and reliable blade, making it better for mulching. The deck features 3-in-1 cutting options with the choice of bagging, side discharge, or mulching. The mulching capabilities allow you to put the essential nutrients back to the soil to make your yard thicker and healthier.
Why we like it
- It comes with a durable steel deck.
- It is easy to operate, even in tighter spaces.
- It comes with three cutting systems.
- The rear-wheel-drive makes it easy to operate on rough and uneven grounds.
- It is compact and lightweight for easy operation.
- You can easily change the cutting height for quick cutting of overgrown weed, grass, or weed.
- It is powerful and highly-efficient.
What we don’t like
- It starts by pulling a cord or rope.
The PowerSmart DB2322S is a perfect self-propelled machine for homeowners with medium lawns that can easily be cut without special abilities and features. It comes with a lightweight construction that allows you to maneuver easily.
- It features a two-point height adjustment cutting system.
- The cutting deck has a width of 21 inches.
- It comes with a 3years Tru-Start Commitment.
- It runs on a Kohler 149cc OHV engine.
- It is CARB compliant.
- It is designed with a tri-cut cutting system to deliver quality cuts.
- It features 8-inch rear and 7-inch front wheels.
Lawn-Boy 17732 is another excellent self-propelled lawn mower under $400 and still has excellent features. It features a rear-wheel-drive system for better traction across uphill and rugged terrain. For extra convenience, the unit comes with a quick to empty collection bag to make your mowing task easier.
With a two-point height of the cut system, you can easily adjust the cutting height for better results. It is gas-powered and comes with a powerful Kohler 149cc engine and a torque of 6.5ft-lbs. Lawn-Boy lawn mower is backed up by the best warranties.
Why we like it
- The rear wheels provide better traction and control for different types of terrains.
- It comes with a large easy to empty the collection bag.
- It uses a potential engine to get the job done.
- It has easy to use features.
- It is designed with excellent reliability and cutting performance.
What we don’t like
- It is gas-powered and may produce a lot of noise.
This is one of the best mowers with the best warranties where you won’t have to worry about fixing the machine when it spoils because it comes with a three-year Tru-Start Commitment warranty. You don’t have to spend much time emptying the grass clippings collection bag as it does feature an easy to empty bag design.
- It is equipped with a 159cc powerful gas engine.
- It has a durable, 21-inch cutting deck.
- It features an electric start push button.
- It is designed with six different cutting height settings with a range of 1.25 to 3.75 inches.
- It comes with a deck wash and a three-in-one deck design.
- It comes with a dual-lever height adjustment along with high-rear wheels and front-wheel-drive.
- It is backed with a two years warranty.
Craftsman M275 is a gas-powered lawnmower equipped with an auto choke and a dual-lever with six different cutting heights allowing you to keep your lawn neat. The powerful mower comes with a 21-inch cutting deck; it is wide enough to mow vast amounts of grass in a single pass. It is a perfect choice for small or medium-sized yards.
Additionally, this machine has a front-wheel-drive propelled using a single-lever squeezebox that enables you to accelerate the mower smoothly. Therefore, with the propulsion speed, you can quickly move around the lawn with less effort. It comes with wheels with zag threading for more durability and traction.
Why we like it
- It is easy to assemble.
- It comes with mulching, rear discharge, and side discharge capabilities.
- It is versatile and delivers excellent performance.
- It is easy to start and operate.
- It also comes with a choice of pulling a rope to start.
- It is easy to accelerate the machine thanks to the single-lever squeezebox.
- It’s easy to maneuver around wider areas of grass.
What we don’t like
- It is not good working on slopes.
one of the best self-propelled that comes with features suiting most user’s needs. The machine is designed with front-wheel-drive that allows you to accelerate on different terrains. Moreover, it features an auto choke and electric start for convenient starting. When it comes to trimmings and cuttings, the lawn mower features a dual-lever that enables you to adjust the cuttings between six different heights.
See also: best lawn mowers under $300
What to Look for in a Lawn Mower Under $400
Four hundred dollars isn’t a small amount, and so you will need the best self-propelled lawn mower for trimming and manicuring your yard. All the self-propelled lawn mowers under $400 are good, but there are the best: those with excellent features designed to make your mowing experience easier. So, since you will spend a good amount, you need to understand a top-quality self-propelled lawnmower’s vital features.
Your lawn mower cutting height adjustment describes the grass height from the ground that the mower will cut. The cutting height can be easily adjusted by pulling the height adjustment lever. If you set a short height, the short grass might not withstand excessive heat or drought, while too long grass may accumulate thatch that can get in the way of fertilizer and water.
Grass disposal options
It is crucial to consider the cutting deck discharge design. Where will the grass go once it’s cut? Most self-propelled lawn mowers have three-in-one functionality giving you the options to mulch, rear bag, or eject grass on the side. These three options make your mowing experience better, with the mulching function making your lawn healthier and thicker. If your lawnmower comes with a bag less discharge system, it allows you to mow the whole yard without stopping to empty the bag. The only problem is that it creates build-ups of the cut grass in the yard.
Self-propelled lawn mowers run on drive systems like rear-wheel and front-wheel drive. Every drive system has its benefits, so let’s look at the drive systems.
- Rear-wheel drive – These kinds of lawnmowers are powerful and are perfect for hilly lawns. They have improved traction and unnecessary intervention.
- Front-wheel drive – These types of machines work best in flat areas. When the front wheels are raised off the ground, especially when mowing hills, the mower stops moving, they are easy to turn around in tight corners or when it’s time to reverse course.
Many lawnmowers operate at a consistent speed, which enables precise cuts. Moreover, the lawn is thicker, a lawnmower with fast speed may not cut the lawn as expected.
However, most of the self-propelled lawn mowers run on variable speed, which gives the operator full control of their mowing speed. It allows you to change the speed depending on the type of terrain or the grass thickness. A variable speed will be a better choice if your lawn has thicker grass and uneven grounds.
Although you won’t be pushing the self-propelled mower, you have to maneuver it around the lawn or up and down the hill. So, since these types of mowers are more massive than the push mowers due to the push mowers, it is crucial to check their weight when purchasing a lawnmower. You should look for a mower with 60 to 90 pounds.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Self-Propelled Vs Push lawnmower?
The one good thing about a self-propelled lawnmower is the little effort required to push it through the lawnmower. It is easy to operate, and all you do is squeeze the bar next to the handle. Therefore, you don’t have to strain a lot to make the lawn mower move.
How do I mow with a self-propelled lawn mower?
All you do is squeeze the bar near the handle of your lawn mower and hold it while the machine starts driving itself. Also, you should guide the mower to keep it in line while cutting evenly. The self-propelled lawn mower requires less effort to maneuver around, unlike the push mowers from different brands.
Not every homeowner needs a lawn mower, but if you need it and have a budget of 400 dollars, you can get it from the list we have reviewed. It is also a perfect idea for those with hilly or huge yards. The self-propelled lawn mower makes your mowing task easier and reduces the time needed to cut down and groom your lawn. Furthermore, the great machines save you from physical fatigue.
A good mower should have adjustable heights, lightweight and compact design, variable speed to give you full control of the machine, and options for grass disposal. It must have a durable deck with an excellent cutting design. Most machines come with a three-in-one deck design with side discharge, rear bag, and mulching capabilities.