Are you looking for the right snow blower for your elderly friend, grandparent, or family member? If yes, then you are in the right place. Snow blowers for the elderly are designed to make their life simpler during winter as there is much snow to clear in the pathways, walkways, and driveways. Whether gas, electric, or cordless, it clears snow from carports, sidewalks, and decks.
Below you can find our best snow blowers for elderly people.
Our Top Picks at a Glance:
Best Snow Blowers for The Elderly
1. Snow Joe SJ627E Snow Blower
- It clears an incredibly massive amount of 25 tons of snow in an hour.
- It has an extensive clearing capacity of 22 inches and an intake height of 13 inches in every pass.
- It is powered by a 15Amp unit that can clear broad walkways and driveways.
- The unit combines the performance of the electric plus gas power to provide unlimited snow blowing power.
- It comes with a steel auger that is fitted with four rubber-tipped heavy-duty blades.
- It features an adjustable chute that can be rotated up to 180 degrees.
- The rotatable chute discharges the snow up to 25ft away.
- It weighs only 35lbs.
- It comes with integrated dual LED lights.
- Its tires feature a height of 7 inches.
You will fall in love with this versatile snow blower for your mid-sized walkways and driveways. It has a vast clearing capacity of snow per minute, which licenses you to clear snow quickly and dispose of it. This is an electric model with less maintenance and upkeep.
Why we like it
- It is durable and environmentally-friendly.
- It is the most powerful, widest snow moving and also best in performance.
- It is versatile as it suits both sidewalks, pathways, walkways, and driveways.
- It starts reliably and instantly with a push button.
- It is hassle-free, there is no need for frustrating pull-cords, tune-ups, oil, gas, or tangled extension cords.
- It clears to the ground without damaging the pavements since the drill is tipped with rubber.
- It also comes with a scraper bar placed at the unit’s base to prevent damage when clearing the driveway or decks.
- It is lightweight and easy to maneuver around your compound.
- It is for night operations as it comes with LED lights for visibility.
What we don’t like
- It may release smoke.
- It has a short warranty of two years only.
We would recommend this for the elderly living in places that receive vast amounts of snowfall. It is lightweight so that you can carry it back to the garage. It is also easy to operate and control.
2. Greenworks 2600402 Snow Blower
- It doesn’t require gas, oil, or other types of fuels.
- It comes with a charger and an 80V Lithium-Ion battery.
- It provides excellent efficiency with a maximum of 45 minutes of running time.
- It has an intake depth of 10 inches and a clearing width of 20 inches.
- It comes with a 180-degree rotating chute for the desired snow throwing direction.
- The battery must be placed at room temperature for optimal performance.
- It features 6-inch rear wheels for easy maneuvering.
- It uses a brushless motor technology.
Greenworks 2600402 is another excellent machine for the elderly available in the market. It’s a cordless electric machine, meaning you wouldn’t have to deal with tangled extension cords. It can clear snow from anywhere, and there is no limited distance.
Why we like it
- It clears a broader path in less time.
- It is ideal for women and the elderly.
- It operates quietly, and it’s maintenance-free.
- It has a digital controlled motor for longer life, longer run-time, and more torque.
- It operates without a length limit.
- The battery is fully charged within 30 minutes.
- It comes with LED headlights for visibility while working at night or early in the morning.
- It is lightweight as it weighs 33lbs only.
What we don’t like
- It is expensive.
Being an excellent machine with a quality design that deals with any snow type, it is worth investing in. It features an ultimate performance Li-Ion battery that helps clear wide driveways, sidewalks, and pathways with ease.
3. Snow Joe SJ623e Snow Blower
- It uses a 15amp motor to clear a maximum of 720 pounds of snow within a minute.
- It doesn’t require tune-ups, gas, or oil, making it effortless to start or maintain.
- It comes with a steel auger fitted with four blades that cut through snow and ice quickly.
- It cuts through the snow of 18 inches width and 10inches deep within a single pass.
- It features a 180-degree adjustable chute to control the discharged snow in your desired direction.
- It comes with a 23W halogen light.
- It features a universal chute cleaning tool.
- It is backed with a two years warranty.
- It has a throwing snow distance of 25 feet.
The Snow Joe SJ623e is a great snow blower for the elderly because it’s easy to control and use. It weighs only 33.7lbs so you can transport it to and from the garage without any assistance. It also clears mid-sized to broad walkways and driveways.
Why we like it
- The four-blade steel auger clears snow to the ground without destroying the surface.
- The chute cleaning tool helps to clear any snow build-up in the chute that could prevent the machine from removing the required amount of snow. It can also stop the engine from operating well.
- There is halogen light to clear your paths while working in the dark.
- It clears a large amount of snow in a minute, meaning you will take less time to clean your driveway than you would have taken while using a shovel.
- It starts instantly with a push of a button.
- It offers the quality performance of a gas-powered machine due to the convenient electric power.
- It is maintenance-free and versatile.
What we don’t like
- It may emit smoke.
This versatile Snow Joe SJ623 is suitable for clearing medium to a large-scale yard, lawn, walkways, and driveways. It is a perfect choice for the seniors, and the elderly for it is maintenance-free. It is hassle-free to start and no gas refilled or oil mess.
4. Earthwise SN74018 Snow Blower
- It features snow removing a width of 18 inches and a height of 12 inches.
- It has a chute throwing snow to a distance of 30 inches.
- It comes with an ergonomic handle to make you comfortable while working.
- It uses a powerful 40V 4Ah battery and comes with a charger.
- It comes with an easy to adjust 180-degree rotating chute.
- It doesn’t need oil or gas.
- It features two LED spotlights for visibility while working at night.
- It has 6-inch rear wheels and a dual-blade auger.
- It weighs 35 pounds only.
Earthwise SN74018 is ideal for the seniors and elderly because you won’t have to deal with extension cords that can trip you down. This is the best machine to clear snow in your lawn as it moves 500 pounds of snow per minute.
Why we like it
- It is easy to assemble, and no tools are needed.
- The rotating chute adjusts easily without stopping.
- It doesn’t need regular maintenance.
- You can work with it in the evening or morning, anytime you are free.
- You can discharge the snow in any direction of your choice.
- It is ideal for clearing the driveway, patio, sidewalk, and pathway.
- You can leave the cord in the garage and work without the hassle of an extension cord.
What we don’t like
- It is not suitable for large driveways.
We recommend this snowblower for those working for long hours in the lawn as it comes comfortable handles that won’t cause fatigue to your arms. The 6-inch rear wheels make it easier to maneuver in the snow. It also comes with a two years warranty.
5. Briggs & Stratton 1024MDS
- It comes with deflector and chute rotation controls mounted on the dash.
- It has an intake height of 21.07 inches and an auger diameter of 12.20 inches.
- It comes with a push-button electric start.
- It features heated hand grips fitted with an on and off switch.
- It is designed with large tires measuring 4.8 inches by 16 inches.
- It has a strong engine designed to power through the harshest winter conditions.
- It comes with LED light.
- It features sturdy and durable construction with a steel frame.
This machine allows you both moderate and heavy snow on common pathways and driveways like a breeze. It makes turns quickly and comes with heated hand grips to make you more comfortable in the cold.
Why we like it
- It comes with LED lights for better visibility.
- The large tires help to offer superior traction.
- It has heated hand grips to keep your hands warm under the cold snow.
- The electric start offers easy and quick starting.
- It has dual-trigger steering that releases the right or left wheel to assist in making tight turns at the end of the pathway or driveway.
- The sturdy construction allows it to clear ice or snow with ease.
- It allows you to adjust the snow throwing direction without stopping quickly.
- It offers free-hand control.
What we don’t like
- It is heavy.
This is an excellent machine for those living in areas that receive heavy snowfalls. It allows you to clear snow comfortably with the heated hand grips. This model will tackle any amount of snow that the winter has in store for you.
How to Choose a Snow Blower for Elderly People
It can be hard to select that one snow blower that suits your needs as there is a large variety of options without the specific features and details of what makes it unique from the others.
You should check the capacity of the snow blower before purchasing it. Its capacity depends on the auger’s width and motor power, as it reveals the amount of snow it moves in a minute. Some can clear up to 800 or 700 pounds per minute. This means that a quality model will blow away 700 pounds easily from your lawn or driveway.
A snow blower is usually powered using a powerful engine, making it easy to push through the hardened ice and snow. It is quite essential to check the type of your motor and if it can perform the job you want. There are two types of motors, including electric and gas-powered engines. Both motors have advantages and disadvantages, so you should pick them as per your needs. The gas-powered ones are not fastened with a power cord because they come with a gas tank to fuel it. However, these types of motors require slight maintenance, and they are louder compared to the electric models.
Some of the machines feature a drill fitted with two or even four blades. You can check for them and see if that is what you want. You should also look at their construction material, whether they are made of steel with sharp edges. Steel is highly reliable than many other development materials.
While choosing the motor type, you should also check its power. The more powerful a motor is, the easier it blows away snow from your walkway or yard. Electric motors have their ability referenced as 15amp or 13amp engines. Besides, a 15amp motor is enough for many users. With gas-powered, you will get options like 300cc or 200cc engines. A 300cc is potent.
Reliability and Durability
Since blowers feature many moving parts, purchasing a reliable and durable machine is very important. The simplest way to ensure that your tool is reputable is by checking the warranty. One backed with a two-year warranty or more can keep you going for a while.
Lights and Wheels
Large-sized wheels are great to enhance traction in the snowy driveway. Some feature 8-inch, and others have 6-inch wheels. Bigger wheels allow you to maneuver easily in the snow. Some blowers come with LED lights that make your way clear during the night or early mornings.
Some machines come with an electric start that allows the machine to start quickly. It isn’t easy for a senior to manually start a blower by rotating or pushing a handle. Most gas-powered options use a pull-cord to start similar to a lawn mower, which isn’t suitable for an old lady but choosing a machine with an electric push button that starts quickly even in icy weather.
The best snow blowers come with safety features that are essential for the seniors and elders to operate efficiently. Some of the electric machines offer safety cord locks that will conveniently hold an extension cord in place securely. At the same time, gas-powered models come with an engine with an automatic shut off.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why can’t my Snowblower throw Snow Far?
Your chute rotator could be clogged so it won’t throw snow far. And if your chute is not clogged, look at the auger drive system and augers. If the auger is damaged, it won’t feed the snow to the chute for efficient throwing. When the shear pins are broken, they keep the auger’s sections from spinning.
How often should I change Snow Blower Belts?
The belts on your two-stage machine will last for at least four to seven years. But this depends on how often you use it throughout the year. It can take you some years before you purchase a new one.
Your old grandma or senior parent will need something easy to operate and maneuver. A machine that you can quickly move through the snow. They wouldn’t want to spend much time under the cold weather. Some of these snow blowing machines come with heated hand grips to keep you warmer while clearing snow.
Our best snow blower for older people is the Snow Joe SJ627E. It is lightweight, and you can quickly get through the snow. You can work at any time of the day as it comes with two LED lights for visibility. The tires are 7 inches for traction. It clears a massive amount of snow within an hour, so you will only take little time in the harsh weather.