A yard is among the first things that attract guests while you are hosting them. Your lawn speaks a lot about you and should paint the right picture. Therefore, you should look for the right mower to maintain a neat lawn, and especially during rainy seasons, the grass tends to grow taller, faster.
Below we have put together our full list of the best lawn mowers for tall grass.
- Best Lawn Mowers for Tall & Thick Grass
- How to Choose a Lawn Mower for Tall Grass
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final verdict
Best Lawn Mowers for Tall & Thick Grass
- It features a durable 20-inch steel deck to cut through the tall grass easily.
- It comes with the options to rear bag, side discharge, and mulching.
- It has a push-button for an easy start.
- It is constructed with foldable handles for easy storage.
- It has 10-inch rear and 7-inch front wheels.
- It comes with a four years tool warranty to protect your big investment.
If you are looking for an efficient and lightweight lawn mower, get the Greenworks 25022 lawn mower that is 30 pounds lighter than the gas-powered models. Although it comes with a plastic frame, the unit has excellent features to make the tall grass mowing task easier. Luckily, it features a 20-inch cutting width to reduce your trips around the lawn. You can easily increase the cutting height between 1.5 to 3.25 inches using a single lever in seven height adjustment positions.
Moreover, it has a 3-in-1 cutting deck discharge design with the ability to rear bag, side discharge, and mulch. The Greenworks 25022 comes with 7-inch front and 10-inch rear wheels for better maneuverability and control while mowing uneven terrain.
This is definitely our best lawn mower for tall grass.
Why we like it
- It is easy to start and operate.
- It operates quietly, unlike the gas-powered options.
- It has a rugged stamped deck for durability and even cuts.
- It can easily convert from rear bagging, side discharge, or mulching.
- It is easy to store and transport.
- It features great maneuverability due to its big rear wheels.
- It has an adjustable cutting height for comfortable mowing.
- It is backed up with a warranty.
What we don’t like
- It comes with an extension cord, so you will have to spend extra dollars purchasing it.
- It is corded.
This is an ideal mower for medium-sized lawns as it comes with a wider cutting swath for a great balance of cutting capacity and maneuverability. The machine is powered by a 12-amp motor to chew the tall grass with ease. For safety, it features an integrated cord lock, which helps to prevent accidental cord disconnections.
- It features a smart drive with variable speed.
- It is EPA and CARB compliant.
- It comes with a 2.4-bushel bag for collecting grass clippings.
- It runs on a GCV 160 engine.
- It comes with a 12ga steel deck.
- It has a six-position cutting height adjustment system with a range of 1 ⅛ to 4 inches.
- It features a two-position handle that allows you to mow comfortably.
Honda engines are earning themselves a good name in the industry; most experienced people consider a Honda engine to perform powerful jobs. The Honda HRR216K9VKA lawn mower is a self-propelled machine with a variable speed between 0 to 4 mph. Moreover, it features micro-cut twin blades for ultra-fine cuts for bagging and mulching.
It runs on an easy to start engine. The self-propelling function allows you to move the lawn mower effortlessly. It comes with foam grip handles for more comfort while mowing for an extended time.
This is our best lawn mower for thick grass.
Why we like it
- It comes with an auto choke for easy engine starting.
- It has different options for cutting adjustment.
- It is designed with comfort in mind.
- It uses a powerful and efficient engine.
- It has a foldable handle for easy storage.
- Its attachment doesn’t need tools.
- It comes with a zone start safety system.
What we don’t like
- It is costly.
We recommend this lawn mower for anyone willing to spend a good amount on a premium quality machine with great features. It is equipped with micro-cut twin blades for fine cuts. It is also a great option for new users as it is easy to assemble with no tools required. The machine isn’t bulky and can easily fit in your small space with its easy-to-fold handle.
- It has a StaySharp cutting system to reduce the number of sharpening annually.
- It uses VersaCut technology for easy cutting height adjustments.
- It comes with an inset wheel design for easy edging of the sides.
- It is 60% easier to push than the standard reel mowers.
- It delivers best in class cuts without charging, oil, gasoline, or noise.
- It features a three years limited warranty.
- Its blades are made of hardened steel.
This StaySharp 18-inch Max reel push mower is designed using superior ergonomics and patent-pending technology to deliver the best cutting performance with no need for charging, oil, or gasoline. There is no hassle of cords or the noise produced by the gas-type. On top of that, it comes with an IntertiaDrive reel to provide twice the standard reel mowers’ cutting power. With its StaySharp cutting system, you eliminate the inconvenience and cost of sharpening the blade annually.
Furthermore, it is equipped with VersaCut technology that allows easy adjustment of the cutting height to deliver a clean cut on all grass types. With the inset wheel design, you have ultra-close side edging without leaving uncut strips under the wheels.
Why we like it
- It provides clean cuts on all types of grass.
- It has the best cutting performance.
- It offers twice the cutting power provided by other reel mowers.
- It doesn’t need charging, oil, or gas to deliver fine cuts.
- It has a one-touch height adjustment for better control and comfort.
- It is easier to push, which allows you to get the work done without much effort.
- It features an eco-friendly smart design.
- It has a unique discharge chute.
What we don’t like
- It has a limited warranty.
This is a great cheap pick, especially for those who don’t like the hassle of cords, gas, refilling oil, or charging. The StaySharp Max helps you get more done with little effort. It has 18-inch blades that don’t require sharpening. It has a combination of great technologies to give you the best cutting experience. Additionally, the machine operates quietly without alerting the neighborhood on your mowing sessions. It is eco-friendly and has greater performance than most reel push mowers.
- It runs on a 56V Lithium-Ion battery.
- It has a cut time of up to 45 minutes and 30 minutes of charging time.
- It has an upright storage design for easy storage.
- It features a weather-resistant construction.
- It comes with a three-year limited warranty on the charger and battery system.
- It is backed up by a five years limited warranty.
If you prefer battery-powered models for mowing your tall grass, get this best lawn mower with less maintenance. This EGO Power+ mower delivers gas-like power to cut to tough grass without the hassle of gas or oil. The powerful machine is easy to handle and has zero tolerance for the tall grass, so you will be very comfortable to mow the lawn. Moreover, the 56V 4.0Ah battery uses advanced arc-Lithium technology and comes with a rapid charger for quick charging. It has a cutting capacity of 20 inches and can mow up to two miles with a single charge.
Why we like it
- It has a quick charging time.
- It has a wider cutting swath.
- It folds easily and quickly for compact storage.
- It has gas-like performance without fumes, mess, and noise.
- It has a durable construction to withstand all weather conditions.
- It has great warranties.
What we don’t like
- The battery requires replacement after about two years.
This is a great machine for mowing a large lawn with a runtime of up to 45 minutes. We recommend the weather-resistant body allowing you to mow anytime without worrying about it getting destroyed by varying weather conditions. You will love its excellent performance and even cuts without hassle. This is one of the best lawn mowers for tall grass with rapid charging and long-lasting power.
- It is equipped with a 14-inch steel blade.
- It uses a 13-Amp motor to power it through the tough grass.
- It has three positions cutting height adjustment.
- It weighs 29 pounds only.
- It is ETL approved and comes with a full two years warranty.
- It comes with a 10.6-gallon rear bag for collecting the grass clippings.
This is a lightweight and compact lawn mower that can get your lawn mowing chore done without the emission of toxic carbon or noise. It starts instantly with a simple push-button even in harsh weather conditions. Moreover, it features all-terrain wheels for easy maneuverability in tighter spaces, especially for lawns with flower beds and foundations. On top of that, it features a durable steel blade to cut down tall grass. The grass cutting height can be tailored using its three-position manual control to adjust between 1.18 to 2.52 inches. It comes with a 10.6-gallon collection bag that can attach and detach easily.
Why we like it
- It has a lightweight and compact design for easy maneuverability.
- It has easy to adjust cutting heights for precise cuts.
- It is easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
- It operates quietly without emitting carbon or oil mess.
- It has a convenient quick disposal rear bag.
- It comes with a collapsible handle for easy storage.
What we don’t like
- It is corded, which limits your mowing distance.
We recommend this easy to use an electric lawn mower for anyone who wouldn’t want the hassle of a heavy gas-powered model. Unlike the gas options, this Sun Joe MJ401E starts instantly without the struggle of a pull cord. The unit is equipped with a durable steel blade to cut through the toughest tall grass.
How to Choose a Lawn Mower for Tall Grass
There are several things to look for in the lawn mower for tall grass.
Rough or flat terrain
In some homes, the lawns have rugged terrain, while others have hilly or rolling slope; therefore, it’s important to find the right mower for your lawn. There are different mowers for different types of terrain. If you are looking for a self-propelled machine, you need to get the right one for the task to avoid frustration afterward. A rear-wheel-drive lawn mower will be perfect for a sloped or hilly lawn, while a front-wheel-drive mower will be best for flat terrain.
Grass bag catcher
In every mowing job, you have to collect and dump the grass clippings. Of course, tall grass will fill in quickly, and so you require a lawn mower that can handle enough grass. Some bags are designed to hold several pounds of grass clippings. Each grass catcher is designed to hold a certain amount of grass at a time, which also depends on the model you purchase. After collecting, you can then empty the grass clippings into your mulch box, recycle bag, or plastic bag.
Cutting deck size
The deck cutting size does matter because it determines how much time you will take to finish mowing the lawn. Although the tall grass may slow your cutting speed, a wider cutting deck reduces the number of around you will take to complete the lawn. If you choose a lawn mower with less than 18 inches, it is looking for trouble.
Many lawn mowers feature an in-built foldable design for easy storage. This ensures it doesn’t take much space in the garage. You may have enough room in your store, but it shouldn’t have a private parking area. Your lawn mower should be able to fold easily and take up less space than an oversized suitcase. Some mowers sit tight against the wall, shed, or garden.
Cutting dry or wet tall grass
Normally, many homeowners prefer cutting dry grass, but there are some instances where you can’t avoid mowing wet grass. Before 7 am is not a good time to cut the grass because of the high humidity, fog, and dew. Most lawn mowers may clog if they are cutting tall wet grass, holding your job standstill; besides, if you try mowing after it rains, the grass clumps and becomes sticky.
This is the most important tool when it comes to cutting grass. Your mowers blade should be constructed from durable material, and you should take care of it like the other knives. It needs to be very sharp to cut through the toughest tall grass. Keeping the blades sharp and oiled improves their cutting power. Most of the blades are made from steel, which is durable and lasts for many years.
This depends on how frequent you need to mow your lawn, the type of grass in it, and the lawn’s size. If you have a hilly lawn, you will need a powerful motor. A large capacity engine may not be economical on gas, but you can mow a thick tall grass using a 120cc mower.
The best pawn mowers for tall grass are easy to use and simple. In our list, we have only showcased easily to operate lawn mowers that you will enjoy using. It should be a machine that you can use, even without reading the manual.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use a mower on tall grass?
Yes, you can use it by simply adjusting the mower’s key features. If the grass is very tall, you should raise your cutting height and reduce it gradually to reach your recommended height.
Will mowing wet grass destroy my lawn mower?
Wet grass can easily ruin your mower in two or more ways. First, the mower won’t cut the wet grass cleanly, resulting in clumping of the grass clippings. What’s more, the clumping blocks your mower’s deck and reduces its performance leading to other mechanical issues. Secondly, if you are using an electric mower, you can easily be electrocuted because the wet lawn could be having waterlogged areas. On top of that, if you are using a gas-powered model, the fuel can be contaminated, especially if you don’t use a fuel stabilizer.
The best lawn mowers for tall grass should be simple and easy to use. Mostly new mower users will go for lightweight and electric lawn mowers that are easy to assemble. The best lawn mower for tall grass is the Greenworks 20-Inch 12-Amp 25022 . Furthermore, both beginners and veterans can operate it. The machine comes with easy to understand features.