It can be difficult to find the best hedge shears when there are so many options. Luckily, our team has done hours of in-depth research so you don’t have to. Below you can find our top hedge shears on the market right now.
Our Top Picks at a Glance:
Best Hedge Shear Reviews
- Used by professionals in Japan.
- Weigh less than 2 pounds.
- Blades measure almost 7 inches.
- Shorter than some other products on the market.
These hedge shears are used by many professional gardeners in Japan. They measure 21 inches in length, so they’re shorter than most other shears, but their blades measure almost 7 inches of that. In addition to that, these hedge shears also only weigh 1 pound and 8 ounces, so they’re incredibly lightweight.
Furthermore, these hedge shears have handles composed of slick Japanese White Oak, so they’re able to last for long periods while also maintaining comfort throughout hours of use.
- Trim and cut two times faster than other hedge shears.
- Has a four-pivot point.
- Soft grip and shock-absorbing.
- Some customers claim that the blades rusted very quickly.
These hedge shears contain a power-lever mechanism that’s able to help you trim hedges up to two times faster than other shears. Not only that, but the blade in these shears measures 8 inches and contains serrated tips for maximized durability.
Moreover, these hedge shears contain blades that have a patented design in which the blades sharpen themselves after you use them.
- Have sharp blades that are able to cut as easily as scissors.
- Blades can easily be replaced when needed.
- You have the ability to purchase a multi-pack of shears.
- More expensive than some of the other products on the market.
These hedge shears contain superior steel and blade treatment that can give you a professional job. Not only that, but the blades included in these hedge shears have long-lasting sharpness since they have a pivot bolt for you to adjust the blades.
These hedge shears can also assist you in cutting perfect shapes on hedges, and they can easily be replaced when needed. Additionally, they’re highly durable and can withstand trimming hedges that are thicker than most other bushes.
What are Hedge Shears Used for?
Hedge shears give you a lot of control over your trimming. Because of this, they are often favored for touch-up jobs, small hedges, or to style a hedge exactly the way you want it.
Hedge shears are most commonly used for trimming bushes, shrubs, and hedges. But depending on the type of hedge shear that you have, you may also be able to trim small trees and other plants with them. If you want something more heavy duty, consider a hedge trimmer.
How to Choose the Best Manual Hedge Shears
Hedge shears come in various sizes, styles, and prices. So before you decide on purchasing just one of them, you should consider a few aspects first, like:
- Your landscape: consider the types of bushes and hedges that you have in your yard.
- Weight and size: you’ll most likely have to use the hedge shear above head height for some portion of the trimming process, so consider a lightweight option.
- Cutting blades: Consider the blades’ length since you don’t want blades that are too short.
- Cutting mechanism: Consider a model with gears as they require less effort.
- Ease of use: you want shears that are easy to use, instead of ones that take a while for you to understand how to use.
How Do You Sharpen Hedge Shears?
Generally, it depends on the specific type of hedge shears that you have. Hedge Shears with straight blades are the easiest to sharpen without replacing the whole blade.
To sharpen hedge shears that have straight blades, you should use a millstone or a sharpening stone and run the stone against the straight blade until it’s sharp enough for you to use again.
Each of the hedge shears included in this list can give you a wide variety of benefits. They can trim hedges, bushes, and shrubs in practically any yard. But since they’re all very different according to what they can handle as well as how they function, it can still be difficult to decide on which certain pair of hedge shears to purchase.
We recommend the Okatsune Precision Hedge Shears for most people because these shears are responsible for providing you with the best benefits out of all the products on this list. They’re also available for the best price. Given that, you should check out these hedge shears today.