Looking for the best snow blower for wet snow? Our team has done hours of in-depth research so you don’t have to. Check out our top picks below to find out which snow blowers we recommend.
5 Best Snow Blowers for Wet Snow
1. Husqvarna ST227P Snow Blower
- This is a two-stage system whereby the snow is cleared through the auger and is discharged by an impeller through the chute.
- It has a wide mouth of 24 inches.
- It comes with a convenient power steering for controls.
- It features an electric starter for smooth operation in the cold weather.
- It comes with a LED headlight for easy operation in the dark.
- It features heated handle grips.
If you want a snowstorm blower designed to bring down your two-feet snowfall for you, this could be an excellent choice for you. The 208cc engine may appear less powerful, but it could surprise you by the amount of wet snowfall it can clear.
Why we like it
- The LED light makes your work easier, especially if you like clearing snow early in the morning and late evening.
- It starts by only pressing a button and connects to a power outlet.
- The heated grips ensure more comfort while operating in a cold climate.
- The power steering enables superior maneuverability during adverse conditions.
- There is a remote chute deflector that controls the vertical snow throwing direction.
What we don’t like
- The occasional stock belt may break.
We recommend this snow blower for those looking for a machine to clear extensive wet snow. Its system ensures you won’t have to deal with a dead battery.
- It features a four-way direction chute control.
- It clears a path that is 30 inches wide.
- It comes with adjustable skid shoes that help to prevent surface scuffing.
- It is constructed with 16-inch x 6.5-inch X-Trac tires.
- It is designed using durable steel.
- It comes with heated handle grips.
- It features an electric starter.
If you are looking for a reliable snow thrower that removes snow with ease to solve your winter problems, Troy-Bilt Arctic 30XP is a better option. It is designed for the most hardened and wettest snow.
Why we like it
- It uses a powerful 357cc gas engine to clear a wider path of snow in one quick pass.
- It comes with a Touch ‘N Turn steering allowing smooth operation.
- The 4-way chute control that enables you to change the snow direction.
- It starts quickly with an electric starter.
- The adjustable chute helps to prevent blowback.
- The serrated steel augers cut through heavy snow quickly.
What we don’t like
- It may not work great for fluffy snow.
This is an excellent snow blower for wet and heavy snow. It could work well for you if you live in the Northern. It discharges snow to a long distance to avoid blockage and snow build up.
- It comes with an electric start push-button, and you can still use a manual starter.
- The blower offers snow removing depth of 21inches and a width of 24 inches.
- It has 2-backward and 4-forward speeds.
- It features 13-inch inflatable tires.
- The powerful gas engine allows a throwing distance of 40 feet.
- It can start up to -20F.
- It has a versatile control panel for easy accessibility while working.
- It features a 180-degree chute rotation angle.
For those who want an affordable snow blower, yet with the power to thrower wet snow, this could be your best choice. This snow is powered with a 212cc PowerSmart sturdy engine to offer powerful snow-removing action.
Why we like it
- It is easy to start.
- It comes with a powerful engine to clear massive snow at a go.
- It is affordable.
- The unit has a versatile drive system with speed variations.
- It is perfect for areas receiving heavy, wet snowfall.
- The inflatable tires help with maneuverability in slippery snow.
- The varying speeds feature provides convenience while operating.
- The remote chute control makes your operation easier as you can control the snow discharge to your desired direction.
What we don’t like
- It comes without headlights, so you are only limited to working daytime.
- It is hard to maneuver.
Although it’s budget-friendly, the different drive speeds allow the machine to plow through the wet snow.
- It comes with 2-reverse and 6-forward speeds for convenience while operating.
- It features a 306cc engine.
- It has snow removing a width of 29 inches and a depth of 19.5.
- Its gear-drive has dual-trigger steering, and it’s equipped with an electric starter.
- Its chute control is mounted on the dash.
- It features an on-panel deflector control.
- It has a free-hand control.
- It comes with heated handle grips for comfort while in the cold.
The Briggs &Stratton snow blower is all you need to meet your winter needs of clear wet snow out of your driveway, sidewalk, or pathway. It comes with a powerful engine that delivers high performance and starts even down at 20-F.
Why we like it
- The free-hand control feature eliminates the few struggles of operation.
- The on-panel deflector and an electric chute rotator make it easier to remove the piling snow from your driveway.
- It comes with reversible skid shoes to ensure smooth operation.
- It has 16-inches by 6.5 inches Arctic Trac tires, making it easier to plow through the snow.
- It comes with LED headlights to ensure a clear path while working at night, late evenings, or early mornings.
- It is constructed with durable material including a steel frame, notched auger and chute that takes ice and snow with ease.
- The gearbox requires zero maintenance.
- It can also operate well in low temperatures.
What we don’t like
- The machine requires frequent maintenance.
- It has extra running costs.
This is one of the best models for wet snow out there with quality performance and construction. It has the strength and power to handle heavy ice and snowfall. Its weight is relatively proportional to the amount of work it does.
- It comes with a friction transmission disc that allows you to choose between the 6-forward and one-reverse speeds.
- It comes with an easy-to-grip handle mounted on the steering for single hand control and better maneuverability.
- It has a console-mounted deflector and chute controls to direct the snow discharge easily.
- It features a two-step snow clearing process. The ribbon augers cut through the ice and snow, feeding them back to the impeller blade for discharge.
- It has a durable, powerful, and well-designed engine that withstands harsh winter conditions.
Poulan Pro PR271 is another suitable blower for wet snow as it comes with a 254cc powerful engine for clearing large amounts of snow. It is ideal for removing large paved areas, gravelly walkways, 3-plus car driveways, and sidewalks.
Why we like it
- It has a sturdy and durable design.
- It is easy to start and simple to operate.
- It is easy to control with a single hand as the chute can be controlled remotely.
- It comes with a LED headlight to provide brightness at night.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It is easy to maneuver through the wet snow.
- It comes with a two years warranty.
What we don’t like
- It may require frequent maintenance.
This machine is worthy of people staying in locations that receive high snowfalls. It is costly but worthy of the price as it comes with convenient features that make your wet snow clearing a breeze.
When buying a snow blower for plowing heavy, wet snow, you must consider some vital features that determine if the machine will do a quality job. There are many models out there, but only a few can move wet snow as expected.
Whether you are a beginner or experienced, you still need a machine that is easy to use, one that won’t give you a hard time clearing in the cold weather. The machine’s ease of use is significant and should be considered whenever you are purchasing a new product. The features are power steering, heated handle grips, and well-off designed wheels.
Good-sized tires are essential, for they make the maneuverability in the snow easier. The rugged wheel design prevents the machine from struggling to get through thick wet snow. There should be heated handles to protect your fingers from freezing while blowing snow. The power steering helps you to direct the machine through the snow quickly.
Adjustable Deflector and Chute
These plow vast amounts of snow per minute, so you will need chute deflectors and a chute rotator to allow even snow discharge distribution. This helps to prevent blowbacks, snow pilling, and also the freedom of choosing the throwing direction. Some machines come with a 4-way chute with a wide opening to ensure there is high discharge.
Number of Stages
This is crucial when choosing the machine to clear wet snow because some of the single-stage and lightweight double-stage snow blowers won’t move it. Your search should be focused on heavy-duty and well-designed models to perform an excellent job. However, you wouldn’t just go for a two-stage blower, and upwards, there are other features to consider. Although there are powerful single-stage blowers, we recommend two-stage options, and they are more powerful.
The engine’s build defines the machine’s capacity, the higher the engine capacity, the higher the rating and general performance of the device. Since you will be handling wet snow, you need a superior snow blower with a durable and robust engine.
This type of machine costs a significant amount of money, and you wouldn’t want equipment without a back warranty. This guarantees that in case of a problem, they can replace the equipment or repair it for you. In case of unexpected events, a warranty backs the product and secures the purchase. It ensures the investments never go to waste.
Does the machine shift several gears up and down? The machine’s speed is vital as it determines the capacity of the load it can push, and its direction. The tool you choose should have multiple rates that allow you to operate at the desired speed according to the weather conditions. Many snow blowers in the market come with various speeds, which enable you to complete the task fast when the conditions are favoring.
Headlights should be in the top list. This extra feature might cost you some pennies, but you will need it if you only have time to clear snow at night or during early morning hours. You shouldn’t allow low light to prevent you from daily home chores. Other than providing lighting, these headlights are also good for your safety. If you are working near a road, they ensure that you and the machine are visible to other oncoming cyclists.
Clearing Width and Height
The clearing width and intake height of your snow blower depend primarily on your intended use. This also determines the many times you will run up and down your driveway. Before buying it, you should consider how long your path is and what the machine is designed to clear. Most models have at least a clearing path of 12 inches and 18 inches of snow.
The snow blower’s starting system has two options. You can make up life difficult by choosing a machine that starts by pulling up a cord. This can be a real hassle in the cold weather. On the other hand, some come with an electric starter. With this, you simply plug the extension cord into a power outlet. Then you will be ready to go. However, machines using a recoil start system damage quickly due to the constant pulling.
The type of engine determines your machine’s overall performance and other significant factors. Snow blowers come with either a 4-cycle or 2-cycle engine. Those with a 2-stroke engine not only require high maintenance but also need more effort when operating them.
However, they have a few advantages, like using less gas than other types. They are cheaper. With the 4-stroke engine, they are durable, although they require more fuel compared to 2-stroke. It needs regular maintenance, but it offers the value of your money.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do Snow Blowers Operate well in Wet Snow?
Not all models are constructed for rugged landscapes and heavy, wet snow. Heavy and wet snow clog it easily and can stop operating until it is cleaned or can even break down. If you stay in areas that receive wet and heavy snow, you will need a heavyweight model for easy operation.
Why isn’t it Throwing Snow Far Away?
If your snow blower is not clearing your walkway well, you should turn off the machine first and remove any snow build-ups within the chute. Clogged chutes will not throw snow any far distance, and worn out auger belts can’t spin the machine’s auger quickly enough, hence it won’t snow any far from the pavement.
Can I use my Snow Blower on Slush?
You can easily slush and blow wet snow, but you need to be careful. After clearing snow from your walkway, pathway or driveway using your two-stage, ensure you clear snow from the entire housing and ensure there is no mud or snow left to freeze in it.
Winter has rolled in, and you are already worried about the snowstorms popping up. You need a machine that is easy to operate and maneuver through the snow. It should be well designed with key features to make it function properly.
Husqvarna ST227P is our best choice as it comes with headlights and heated handle grips for extra comfort. It comes with standard features you expect to find in a quality blower. It is not easy to choose a snow blower for wet snow among the many options in the market, but with this detailed review, you could make the right choice.