With all the chainsaw brands today, you can get one for a few hundred bucks. However, knowing which model to get may not be that easy. The price doesn’t make it a good or a lousy product. If you’re prepared to pay between $100 and $300, you’ve got to make sure it’s worth it.
To save you the trouble, our team has done countless hours of intense & in-depth research. We have rounded up a list of the best chainsaws that cost less than $300.
Our Top Picks at a Glance:
The best value for money chainsaw on the market.
- The 5 Best Chainsaws Under $300
- Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
The 5 Best Chainsaws Under $300
1. Greenworks G-MAX Chainsaw
- It has a Brushless motor that offers a longer runtime, and it’s more efficient in cutting.
- It has a chain brake for protection against kickback.
- Automatic chain oiling.
- It is powered by a battery.
- The 16-inch bar is ideal for medium and heavy-duty tasks.
This is the best alternative to a gas chainsaw. It offers 30% higher torque, and its vibration has been reduced by 70%. This makes it easy to use without experiencing fatigue. It also features a brushless motor that keeps the engine running for hours, and reduces the noise you’d experience in gas varieties.
- The engine noise has been greatly reduced.
- Vibration has been reduced by 70% to prevent fatigue for the user.
- The brushless motor also gives this chainsaw 30% more torque.
- It has an automatic chain oiling for continuous lubrication.
- You can share the batteries with other Greenworks devices.
- The oil keeps leaking, especially when you’re not using it. This can destroy your shed. You always have to empty the oil reservoir after use. This is hectic for some people.
- The chain adjustment mechanism gets loose sometimes.
This chainsaw has enough power to cut through logs, trim hedges, and even prepare firewood. It’s among the few products that perform as well as a gas model. Thanks to the brushless motor, it is also more efficient, the noise is bearable, and it has lower vibration. The manufacturers are also concerned about your safety, hence the electronic chain brake for kickback protection.
2. DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCCS670B Chainsaw
- It has a tool-free bar adjustment.
- Features a chain brake to protect you from kickback.
- Convenient oil cap that’s easy to open when replacing the oil.
- Weight- 5.53 kgs (12.2 lbs).
- Dewalt also offers a 3-year warranty.
- Flexvolt technology that can change from 20V to 60V.
This is one of the most expensive chainsaws on our list, but its features are worth the cost. This model is ideal for those looking for power and comfort while using it. This is thanks to the broad back and front handles. It is also highly ranked for battery efficiency and cutting speed.
This chainsaw is fitted with the Oregon 90 chain and 0.043 inches thick link drives. This gives it enough power for use in outdoor cutting and construction applications.
- Auto-oiling that offers continuous lubrication.
- It’s light, allowing you to use it for a long time without straining your arms.
- Kickback protection through the chain brakes.
- Flexvolt technology for controlled voltage based on the requirements.
- Cordless (powered by a battery).
- The quarter-turn oil-cap displaces a lot of oil. If you filled the tank, the oil might spill.
This chain saw has the Dewalt’s unique flex volt technology. This technology changes from 20V to 60V based on the power required. It has a chain break to protect you from kickback and a mechanical lockout. It has an ergonomic light design, auto-oiling features, and excellent performance.
3. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Chainsaw Kit
- 12 inches Oregon bar and chain. It has low kickback.
- Weight – 8.8lbs (4kg).
- Battery-powered (20V).
- The lithium-ion battery (20V) offers an extended runtime.
- Tool-free bar adjustments.
- Automatic oiling system.
If you’re looking for excellent performance at a lower cost, this works great for you. It offers outstanding performance, long runtime, and kickback protection, similar to the other slightly expensive chainsaws.
- The light-weight design allows you to use it for a long time.
- Automatic oiling system for continuous lubrication.
- Affordable price.
- Brushless motor for increased efficiency, less noise, and increased runtime.
- It is more of a light to medium duty chainsaw. Attempts to use it for heavy-duty tasks have led to issues such as the chain jumping off, adjusting mechanism failing, among others.
On most occasions, this chainsaw’s performance is equivalent to heavier-duty models, and it costs half their price. The lithium-ion 20V battery offers excellent performance, and it’sd extremely quiet. The low kickback Oregon bar and chain are safe to use and lethal when it comes across logs of various sizes.
4. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Chainsaw
- 20V Lithium-ion battery for increased run time.
- Tool-free blade adjustment system.
- Ten inches low kickback Oregon bar and chain.
- Weight – 7.lbs (3.27kg).
This is a chainsaw that offers excellent service at home. The small size is ideal for cutting fast. The lithium-ion battery provides 5 times more runtime power.
- Light design to allow continued use without fatigue.
- Translucent oil tank to allow you to monitor the oil levels.
- Automatic oiling system.
- Wrap around bale handle.
- People have occasional problems with the oiler not working.
When you need to clear the bush around your house or cut logs around your yard, this is a chainsaw you’ll love. The battery life is quite long, and it’s handy for small jobs, its lightweight makes it ideal for use even by the elderly, or those who are ailing. The bar and chain aren’t attached, but it’s easy to connect as you follow the provided manual.
- Automatic tension to ensure you have the right tension for the specific task.
- Automatic oiling for continuous lubrication.
- 20V battery- can be shared with other WORX devices.
- Weight – 6lbs.
Chainsaws aren’t just for felling huge trees. You can get a smaller tool like the Worx WG322 20V for cleaning up and pruning branches. It comes with a light design, automatic tension, and automatic oiling.
- Light, compact weight to allow you to use for a long time.
- Long battery life.
- The battery is sharable with other WORX devices.
- Automatic oiling.
- Not fast enough to cut through some types of hardwood.
This chainsaw comes with a light, compact design, automatic tension, and an oiling system, and a 20V volt sharable battery. These features make it ideal for use at home.
You might also like our article on the best chainsaws under 200 dollars.
Chainsaws are handy tools. They can do a wide range of tasks from felling trees, clearing after a storm, to even clearing your yard. They can be gas-powered, powered by electricity. The power source and amount of power depends on the task at hand.
Factors to consider when buying:
- Task – If you plan on felling huge trees and splitting massive logs, gas would be best. Clearing bushes, pruning and cutting firewood can easily be done with small chainsaws that are battery-powered or electric models.
- How often you maintain your ward – If you keep pruning and clearing bushes now and then, a battery-powered product is better.
- Maintenance – Electric and battery-powered chainsaws don’t require a lot of maintenance. All you need to do is plug in the electricity, or ensure the battery is fully charged. The run time of a battery depends on the size and model. All chainsaws also require frequent oiling of the chain and bar.
- Cost – If you’re on a tight budget, get a chainsaw that matches your basic needs at a lower price.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does a Chainsaw Need Oil?
2-stroke engine chainsaw needs fuel mixed with engine oil to make them easier to use. The bar also needs oil for it to function correctly. Make sure you use bar oil, not the usual engine oil, for the bar and chain.
How Long Does a Chainsaw Last?
With proper maintenance and proper cutting techniques, they can last for up to 10 years.
From all the chainsaws under $300, we believe that the Greenworks 16-Inch 40V takes the price for the best overall. It is the perfect replacement for a gas model. It works great for small yard tasks and even for heavy-duty tasks thanks to a 16-inch bar and 40V battery. Its battery-powered, therefore, maintenance isn’t that costly. It cost slightly more than $200, but its features make it relatively better than the other models on the list.