A well-maintained lawn changes the overall aesthetics of a garden entirely. Any beautiful lawn can incredibly soothe you after a long, tedious day at work. With a unique grass type like St. Augustine, you have to select your tools carefully. This type of grass is highly tolerant of salt than many other turf types. It features a blue-green shade and grows widely in warm, coastal states such as Florida. Moreover, it can grow on different types of soil which are well-drained. It maintains its vibrant green color longer than other grass types.
Below we have reviewed the best lawn mower for St. Augustine Grass.
Our Top Picks:
Have Bermuda Grass? Check out our best lawn mower for Bermuda grass.
- Best Lawn Mowers for St. Augustine Grass
- How to Choose a Lawn Mower for St. Augustine Grass
- St Augustine Grass Care Tips
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final verdict
Best Lawn Mowers for St. Augustine Grass
1. Greenworks 10-Amp 25142 Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- It features a 16-inch cutting deck with a 2-in-1 discharge design.
- It runs on a 10-Amp electric motor.
- It weighs 48 pounds only.
- It has five-position height adjustment with a range of ⅝ to 2 ⅝ inches to provide perfect cuts on all grass types.
- It comes with 6-inch front and 7-inch rear wheels.
Greenworks is a great brand that has taken pride in producing the best garden products which are eco-friendly and leaves no carbon footprint. Their products make no compromise in terms of performance. It requires less maintenance compared to the gas-powered models. This model is constructed to last for a long time. If you are looking for a lightweight and efficient lawn mower that will get your mowing job done quickly. Greenworks 27022 is a perfect machine for managing your St. Augustine grass with its robust 10-Amp motor. It powers the mower through the tough grass.
Why we like it
- It has a lightweight and compact design for easy maneuverability.
- It converts easily from mulch to rear bag.
- It has unlimited runtime.
- It comes with a push-button for instant starting.
- It comes with foldable handles for easy storage.
- It features less noise and smooth operation.
- It is eco-friendly with no emission of toxic carbon.
What we don’t like
- It is only perfect for a small lawn as it comes with a narrow cutting width.
If you are looking for a more feature-packed and efficient lawn mower and ditch your old archaic mower for your St. Augustine grass, this Greenworks 25142 be a perfect choice. It has ergonomic design combined with adjustability and a powerful motor to ensure you are fully equipped for the job.
2. Earthwise 1715-16EW 7-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
- It is equipped with a 16-inch cutting deck to maneuver around a lawn with obstacles easily.
- It has 10-inch composite wheels with an unbreakable steel-side plate.
- It has durable blades made from alloy steel.
- It has an adjustable cutting height with a range of 0.5 to 2.5 inches.
- It weighs 26 pounds.
The Earthwise 1715-16EW reel mower doesn’t have an engine, but it delivers a gas-powered model like performance. It provides even cuts without making noise or producing emissions. Furthermore, the mower is lightweight, making it easy to maneuver and transport to the garage for storage. Due to its simplicity, they can work any time, and it is eco-friendly as it cuts the lawn without fumes. It snips the grass without tearing or ripping off the leaves; the push reel mower gives a precise and clean-cut, which is best for a healthier, greener and attractive lawn.
Why we like it
- It is perfect for cutting Seashore paspalum, St. Augustine, Centipede, Zoysia and Bermuda grass.
- Its blades are constructed to stay sharp for a longer time minimizing the sharpening cost and inconveniences annually.
- It delivers even cuts every time.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It has an ergonomic design with comfortable handles to reduce fatigue on your hands.
- It doesn’t require oil, gas or battery.
What we don’t like
- Lacks bagging or mulching functionality.
- It is not suitable for tall grass.
We highly recommend this Earthwise 1715-16EW for anyone with a small to medium-sized lawn with a low growing grass type. It is eco-friendly, lightweight and maintenance-free. Besides, it’s extremely efficient in cutting the St. Augustine grass. It is a lot easy to work with and simple to store.
3. Fiskars StaySharp 362050-1001 Max Reel Mower
- It features an InertiaDrive reel for cutting all grass types.
- It has a new reversible grass chute for directing the grass clippings.
- It has inset wheels with blades extending across your mower’s full width.
- It has a limited three years warranty.
- It is equipped with a StaySharp cutting system that cuts without unwanted contact.
- It is 60% easier to push as it comes with chain-drive design, which optimizes the reel’s speed.
Fiskars StaySharp 362050-1001 is a great mower worth purchasing for the large-sized lawn that takes you quite some time to trim it. It makes your mowing experience more enjoyable with this advanced reel mower. It is 60% easier to work with and push through the grass than other reel mowers. On top of that, it features a new reversible chute that is designed to direct the grass clippings in the front direction far from your feet, downward or backward. It comes with inset wheels allowing the cutting blades to fit across the full width of the mower to eliminate uncut strips.
Why we like it
- It is easier to operate and work with than other reel mowers.
- It has two times the power to maneuver through the tough spots.
- The StaySharp cutting system trims without unwanted contacts. It reduces its wear for long-lasting performance.
- It mows perfectly close to foundations, fences, and sidewalks.
- It has adjustable grass cutting heights.
- It is perfect for cutting St. Augustine grass.
What we don’t like
- Its assembly may be confusing.
- It is not perfect for taller grass.
This StaySharp lawn mower is an excellent choice for anyone looking for low maintenance and simple mower for your yard. You will not only be saving money on gas and power but also keeping the environment clean. It is suitable for all types of grass and delivers twice the power to glide the toughest spots. The push reel mower is tough enough to cut through southern varieties like Bermuda, Bahia, Zoysia, and St. Augustine grass.
4. Greenworks 27022 10-Amp Dethatcher
- It runs on a 10-Amp motor, powering it through the St. Augustine grass.
- It has a 14-inch dethatching path.
- It features three-position time-depth adjustment for better control.
- It comes with stainless steel tines that are created to stay sharp for a longer time.
- It features an adjustable handle with a padded grip.
- It comes with a four years warranty.
The Greenworks manufacture quality products that produce zero carbon footprint. If you are looking for a mower that is lightweight and gets your job done within no time, the Greenworks 27022 is an excellent choice. It features a 14-inch dethatching path that will complete your mowing task faster. On top of that, it performs all the needed tasks without polluting the air or hauling the gas can to any nearest station. There are no emissions or tune-ups. Also, it performs at its highest level and is very reliable.However, the major drawback of this lawn mower is that you have to use the extension cord using the right outlet or your mower might have severe overheating issues.
Why we like it
- It comes with an ergonomic handle for comfort to reduce fatigue on hands.
- Its dethatching path does the work faster.
- The stainless-steel tines are meant to stay sharp for a long time to deliver reliable performance.
- It operates without a carbon footprint.
- It is backed up with a great warranty that is twice the industry’s standard.
- It is easy to push.
- It has foldable handles for compact storage.
- It has a smooth and quiet operation.
- There are no batteries needed.
- It is lightweight and easy to operate, weighing 25 pounds only.
What we don’t like
- It lacks a collection bag.
- It requires an extension cord.
We recommend the Greenworks 27022 dethatcher for those looking for an additional utility for mowing while dethatching. It is efficient and simple, but it may struggle when it comes to thicker grass. However, the tool does a fantastic job for the St. Augustine grass type.
- It features a cutting deck with a width of 30 inches.
- It is constructed with an 18-inch turning radius and can navigate where larger mowers cannot.
- It features large, durable wheels that are built to last.
- It features a comfortable mid-back seat.
- It runs on a 382cc OHV engine with an auto-choke for a quick start.
- It has a manual power take-off for faster blade engagement.
- It is backed up with a two years warranty.
- The steering wheel features a 13-inch soft grip.
The Troy-Bilt Neighborhood riding mower features a 30-inch cutting width while coupling the pros of the standard riding machine with a wide sized cutting deck. Moreover, the mower can be easily stored in a shed or garage; it is perfect for relatively even terrain and medium-sized lawns. It runs on a robust 382cc OHV engine that is built to deliver clean performance.
On top of that, it comes with a 1.3-gallon container featuring a sight window for checking the fuel levels. Furthermore, it has a five-height position adjustable blade that operates with a manual take-off for fast and easy blades engagement.
Why we like it
- It provides clean cuts with a clean performance.
- It has a comfortable soft-grip steering wheel.
- It has a faster and easy blade engagement.
- It features durability and quality.
- It has a wide cutting swath and navigates easily around your lawn.
What we don’t like
- It operates loudly.
- The gear changing might be rough.
If you hate the hassle of pushing a lawn mower around the yard or you probably own a large-sized lawn, the Troy-Bilt mower is a great option to consider. It performs pretty great on flat surfaces, but you should avoid using it on uneven terrain.
How to Choose a Lawn Mower for St. Augustine Grass
If you want to keep your St. Augustine grass lawn in good shape all the time, you should choose the right lawn mower. However, there are several simple guidelines which you should keep in mind while looking for the best lawn mower. With the right mower, you will keep your lawn looking greener, fresh and attractive.
5-blade reel vs. 7-blade reel
The five-blade push reel mowers are known to be better for taller grass such as fescue, while the seven-blade reel lawn mowers that are designed to handle the bent type grasses such as St. Augustine and Bermuda more efficiently. Therefore, if you want a lawn mower for your St. Augustine lawn, a seven-blade mower will be a perfect choice.
Ease of pushing and cutting width
The cutting width on each lawn mower is available in different sizes. However, if you own a large lawn and decide to go for a small cutting width, it means you will go many rounds to complete mowing the lawn. The small cutting swath is ideal for mowing small yards and is a lot easier to push. Mowers designed with a larger cutting head cuts more grass within a single pass.
Electric vs. Manual Lawn Mowers
With the way the St. Augustine grass sprouts, it’s better to choose a reel mower over a gas-powered model, although it can still do a great job. In the reel mowers’ category, there are two kinds: electric and manual reel mowers. The electric options offer you some assistance while handling a large thick lawn. However, the reel mowers require extra maintenance as they come with many moving parts.
Lawn Mower Handle
Some reel-type mowers are designed with a straight horizontal handle while others come with a loop design for the handles. This might be a preference, but it is easier to push than the straight horizontal type.
Our top picks may not require regular maintenance compared to the gasoline-powered lawn mowers as they tend to break down. If they break down without a warranty, you will get in trouble because it could cost you a lot more to repair it. Most mowers feature one-year warranty to four years warranty.
A decent mower usually ranges between 70 to 300 dollars. Naturally, the more expensive options are equipped with great features. If your lawn is small that needs weekly mowing, you may get an affordable model. So, it would be best if you didn’t break your bank trying to get a premium lawn mower when a reel mower can do the job even better.
St Augustine Grass Care Tips
It is important to be more consistent with your mowing for St. Augustine grass than many other species. You could do the trimming at regular intervals, but the recommended frequency is once a week during the active months of growing. This prevents more thatch from accumulating on the lawn and makes it healthier. You should always keep your grass height between 1 and three inches.
Preventing lawn diseases
St. Augustine grass is highly prone to infections that result in unattractive brown patches on the turf. You can easily avoid this by cutting your grass to a greater height and also aerate it. On top of that, you shouldn’t fertilize the lawn while using fungicides or while there is an outbreak.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I mulch or bag St. Augustine grass?
It is not advisable to bag the St. Augustine grass clippings because they can decompose quickly and get back to the soil, once you mulch the clippings. In the event you bag the clippings, you can consider using them in your landscape when the compost. You can start fertilizing the grass after three weeks when it turns green and with a chance of little late frost.
What height should I cut my St. Augustine grass?
The suitable cutting height of the St. Augustine grass ranges between 2 ½ and 4 inches depending on the management regime and specific site. However, it can be determined by the conditions of growth. If you live in shady areas, then your lawn will perform better if you mow at 3 inches to 4 inches.
A great looking St. Augustine grass lawn will be the centre of attraction to your guests, and even to you, it can act as a relaxing point after a tedious day. However, being a special grass type, it requires the right knowledge and tools of mowing it. Greenworks 10-Amp 25142 is the best lawn mower for the St. Augustine grass that packs excellent features. It is a perfect choice to keep your lawn looking great and in good shape.