Best 16 Inch Chainsaws
16″ chainsaws are ideal for home activities. As a result, many companies are manufacturing this size for home users. This does make it hard to choose the best one for you.
Our team has done countless hours of in-depth research to help you choose the best 16 inch chainsaw to use at home.
Our Top Picks:
This is currently the best 16 Inch chainsaw on the market.
This is a corded chainsaw so requires a power outlet nearby but performs superbly.
- Best 16 Inch Chainsaw Reviews
- What to Look for in a 16-Inch Chainsaw
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
Best 16 Inch Chainsaw Reviews
1. Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- Brushless motor for extended runtime and increased efficiency
- Electronic chain brake to protect you from kickback
- Automatic oiling
- Battery-powered (40V)
- 16-inch Oregon bar and chain
If you’re looking for a high-performance chainsaw, this is your best choice. It offers a 70% reduced vibration, and it’s 30% more powerful. The brushless motor gives it longer runtime, more efficiency, and makes it less noisy.
For a cordless chainsaw, it is quite powerful. It can cut through even the most enormous logs. The brushless motor makes it more powerful, less noisy, and reduces vibration. The electric chain brake ensures the user’s safety by protecting them from kickback. It is the ideal replacement for gas-powered chainsaws.
- It is less noisy compared to gas chain saws
- 30% more powerful and 70% less vibration
- Automatic oiling for continuous lubrication
- You can interchange the batteries with other Greenworks devices
- Oil leakage is still an issue. They even warn about it in the manual. You have to empty the oil reservoir after using the chain saw
2. Makita UC4051A 16-Inch Chainsaw
- Automatic oiling system
- Large oiling reservoir
- Inbuilt current limiter
- Building chain break
- Tool-less blade adjuster
- Size: 3/8″ .050″ 050
Makita is one of the best in the market because for not just being the best in cutting wood, but also by ensuring your safety when using it. With this, you have control over everything, and it does not need a great deal of maintenance.
This chainsaw offers excellent performance, and it shows that the company is concerned about your safety. The knob is easy to find and use, with or without gloves. It has an automatic oil system, efficient chain brake, and an ergonomic design to ensure it’s used consistently, hours on end.
- It has a large easy to start switch
- Tool-less blade adjustment for convenient adjusting
- It has a rubberized grip handle
- Chain restraint
- Built-in current modifier
- Automatic oiling system
- It’s quite heavy
- The oil leak is still an issue
3. WORX WG303.1 16″ Electric Chainsaw (Budget Option)
- Non-leak oil reservoir
- Lightweight, ergonomic design
- Automatic chain oiling for continuous lubrication
- Has an auto-tension chain system
WORXWG303.1 is an electric-powered chainsaw that offers a performance that matches its gas and battery-powered counterparts. The automatic tension system adjusts the chain’s tension based on the task.
For a hassle-free and gas-free experience, this is a chainsaw you need to check out. It has all the attractive features such as the automatic oiling system, electronic tension chain, light ergonomic design, a lot of power, and is extremely affordable.
- Five amp motor
- Low kickback bar
- Chain break
- Automatic oiling
- Auto-tension chain system
- It consumes a lot of oil. Especially if you’re using lighter oil
- It’s a plug-in device, so it’s not the best for yard activities
4. DEWALT DCCS670X1 16 Inch Chainsaw
- Its automatic oiling systems keep the chain well lubricated at all times
- Tool-free tensional allows making necessary changes at any time
- It has low kickback bar
- It is lightweight
- Trigger location is different from standard product
The Dewalt 16-Inch Chainsaw has 60V of power with a brushless saw that is simple to use, and it comes with an automatic oiling system.
This is a chainsaw for medium-duty activities. It has a low kickback bar, an automatic oiling system, and a strategically placed trigger. The only drawback is the battery life, but you can get a second battery.
- Puts the trigger in the same spot on all its power tool
- It’s relatively cheap
- It has a chain for kickback protection
- The biggest issues are the cheap washer that holds the retaining bolt in place
- It is battery operated and does not have a lot of power
- The chain keeps getting stuck
What to Look for in a 16-Inch Chainsaw
Since you most probably know the size of the chainsaw and the task you need it for, let’s look at other features you can look for.
- Automatic oiler – Automatic oiling keeps the chain lubricated as you use it. You don’t have to worry about forgetting to. Some come with a button that you can click to release the oil. In others, it’s automatic. Both can malfunction, so you need to make sure they work as they say they do.
- Low kickback – low kickback prevents the chainsaw from injuring you when it hits something.
- Easy start mechanism – If you strained your arm trying to start the thing, you might not be able to carry out the activities you had planned for. Easy start mechanism such as the spring start reduces the energy you need to start the chainsaw.
- Anti-vibration – Vibration, can be very tiring. Ant vibration mechanisms work by reducing this vibration, making it easier for you to use.
- Chain break – These mechanisms stop the chain and protect you from kickback. This makes the chainsaw safer to use.
- Tension chain adjustments – Various chain tensions are required for different tasks. Some chainsaws allow you to control this tension as you work. Others even have an automatic tension adjustment.
- Carrying case – This makes transporting from one point to another easier.
- Safety – Safety is of utmost importance for a user. Besides the kickback prevention mechanisms, you need to wear protective gear when working. This gear includes; Boots, eyeglasses, ear mugs, and gloves. Some companies provide some of them, but you may have to buy this gear separately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the Mix Ratio for a Chainsaw?
The manual should direct you to the appropriate oil gas mix ratio. For most chainsaws, it’s usually 40:1.
2. Which Size of a Tree Can a 16″ Chainsaw Cut?
It can cut through most medium-sized and large trees and logs. It is the best chainsaw for home use. There are cases where you may need an 18 inch or a 20 inch, but a 16″ is a general-purpose model.
3. Can I Fix a 20-inch Bar to My 16-inch Chainsaw?
This depends on the model you’re using. Brands like Husqvarna allow you to use different bars on the same chainsaw. This is a question you’ll have to ask the vendor before buying.
The Greenworks 16-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw wins our hearts again for being the best overall. It works great for small yard tasks and even for heavy-duty tasks thanks to a 16-inch bar and 40V battery. Its battery-powered; therefore, maintenance isn’t that costly.
It costs slightly more than $200, but its features make it better than the premium and the best budget picks. Due to its safety characteristics, maximum torque, and less noise, we wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this chainsaw to anyone.