Chainsaws are great tools to have around. Whether you need to clear the bush around the house, prepare firewood, or fell trees, these machines can be your best friend. Knowing which chainsaw to choose may be quite tricky, as there are a lot of brands in the market today. Of all these brands, only a few of them would serve your needs.
Most 20″ chainsaws have a history of breaking down frequently, and being hard to use for a beginner. That’s why we’ve decided to take the load off your back. Read on below to find out the best 20 inch chainsaw for your needs.
- The 5 Best 20-Inch Chainsaws
- 20-Inch Chainsaw Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The 5 Best 20-Inch Chainsaws
1. Craftsman CMXGSAMY426S 20 Inch Chainsaw
This model by Craftsman has a 46cc 2-cycle gas engine which allows you to complete pruning, trimming and tree limbing tasks.
The filter and spark plug can be accessed without any tools which makes troubleshooting and maintenance very easy.
The handle is fully wrapped in aluminum and it has an anti-vibration system. This makes it very comfortable to operate and keeps you on balance as you maneuver it.
The chainsaw is easy to operate with a 20-inch low kickback bar and chain.
Overall, this is a good chainsaw if you are looking for something heavy-duty. It can easily cut firewood, tree trunks, and other limbs. If you are just looking to do normal outdoor housework and don’t use a chainsaw often, you can probably get a cheaper option that works for you.
- Oil is automatically applied to the chain and bar saving you money.
- Carry case is included.
- The rope pull makes it easy to start.
- The air filter is super easy to clean.
- Not battery-operated, so it will create fumes.
- Heavier than other chainsaws at 25 pounds.
2. Poulan Pro 20 inch Chainsaw
This saw is known for its effortless pull starting system and reduces pull force by 30%. This makes it much easier to start and allows for less wear in the starter mechanism.
It is equipped with OxyPower engine technology which gives it a more powerful engine. It will allow you to complete all your tasks with 70% fewer emissions and 20% lower fuel consumption.
The purge bulb is fully protected which reduces the risk of damage and requires less maintenance.
There is a combi tool built-in to the rear handle which gives you an easy way to complete maintenance.
This chainsaw is expensive, but worth the cost when it comes to needing a saw for heavy-duty tasks. It is also only 17 pounds, which is much lighter than other saws of similar quality.
Some of the safety features are lacking, so it may not the best choice for new saw users.
- Can cut through large tree trunks.
- Comes with a carrying case and a wrench.
- Starts easy and idles nicely.
- Modern and sleek style.
- Oil needs to be drained after every use or it will fill up the case.
- Warranty is very limited on most parts.
3. Husqvarna 460 Rancher 20 Inch Chainsaw
- Automatic chain oiler
- Weight – 12.79 pounds.
- 60.3cc engine, 3.62 horsepower
- 20-inch bar and chain
Husqvarna is famous for creating premium devices such as weed eaters, cultivators, and chainsaws. The Husqvarna 20 Inch, 460 Rancher, is one of the strongest and most durable chainsaws today. One unique feature is the chain tension located on the side. You can adjust the pressure as you work.
Why we like it
- It’s easy to start.
- Very powerful
- The ergonomic design makes it convenient to use for a long time.
- Reliable and durable
- Safety gear and spare parts are readily available.
What we don’t like
- Installing the bar and chain isn’t straight forward. A lot of people complain about having trouble assembling it.
This is one of the most powerful chainsaws a homeowner can have. The ergonomic design makes it easy to handle. It’s easy to start through the smart start technology. You also don’t have to worry about the vibration, this product has a vibration reduction mechanism.
4. Coocher 62CC 20-Inch Chainsaw
This is a good option if you are looking for something practical and durable without all the fancy features of other chainsaws.
The engine is 3.5 HP 62CC. This produces significantly lower emissions and fuel consumption than similar chainsaws. It also has a high speed of 8500 rpm which makes it good for small cutting tasks.
The air filter is efficient and keeps dust from collecting in the engine which prevents fire and sparks. The pull cord is spring-assisted which gives it a simple and easy start.
The sprocket internal structure has a three-tier gasoline filter and automatic chain oiler. This makes it suitable to use all day on a variety of outdoor chores.
Overall, if you just need a cheap saw to do a few home or garden tasks, this is a solid choice. If you plan to use your saw to cut down large trees or want a saw built to last years and years, choose another one.
- More lightweight than other options.
- Long blade.
- The brake is well-made which makes it safe to use and easy to stop.
- Starter rope can break easily.
- Some of the plastic parts look and feel cheap.
5. Ladyiok 20″ Chainsaw
- 62cc 2-stroke engine for steady power.
- A highly efficient bar that is wear-resistant. This bar can also withstand up to 8500 engine power. The bar has a low kickback, making it reliable and safe for the user.
- It is also equipped with a high-quality chain that is wear-resistant, and it has an automatic oiling system for continuous lubrication.
- It’s easy to start through the rope wheel. It is also quite easy to use.
This is a chainsaw built with heavy-duty activities in mind. It has a powerful engine, an efficient bar, and a high-quality chain. This gives it the resilience to cut through even the most robust wood.
Why we like it
- An imported high-quality chain that is more durable, reliable, and offers longer runtime.
- Automatic oiling for continuous lubrication of the chain and the bar.
- High temperature and anti-aging chassis.
- Highly efficient bar- It is strong enough to withstand high engine power. It is also tear-resistant.
- It’s safer to use, thanks to the safety valve throttle switch.
What we don’t like
- Assembling the chain and bar, or tightening the chain, isn’t that straightforward.
This chainsaw is ideal for heavy-duty activities. It has a powerful engine, a highly efficient bar, and a durable chain. It also has automatic oiling to ensure continuous lubrication. The safety valve throttle switch makes it safer to use, and the chassis keeps this product intact for years.
20-Inch Chainsaw Buying Guide
There are three main types of chainsaws. They include;
- Corded Electric – These are connected to electricity as you use them.
- Cordless Electric – Batteries power these.
- Gas – These are powered by gasoline. Gas chainsaws are also the most powerful and require extra care and maintenance.
20” chainsaws require a lot of energy, that’s why most of them are gas-powered. Consider the following factors:
- Easy to use – An ideal chainsaw is one that you can assemble and dismantle on your own. Some don’t give all the details in the manual, making it difficult even for mechanics to figure it out.
- Safety– Safety should always come first. The chainsaw should have a chain break, protective gear, and guard plates for the chain when I storage.
- Cost – You should also check the price. A high cost doesn’t necessarily make it high-quality. Compare the features to other chainsaws on the market. Also, read reviews about these products to know if they’ll serve your purpose. For chainsaws the fit your budget, see our articles on the best chainsaws:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Which is Better, Gas or Electric Chainsaws?
Electric chainsaws are lighter and less quiet. They are also easy to maintain. Gas varieties, on the other hand, are louder, heavier, and more powerful. It all depends on the activities, and how well you can maintain either of them.
2. Which is the Best Chainsaw for Felling Huge Trees?
A 20-inch gas-powered chainsaw is the best for felling large trees and hardwood trees. There are rare cases where you would need a 30-inch model.